Re: Source reading questions.

On Apr 5, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Necto wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I'm a new in the project.

Welcome Necto!

I'm trying to understand an internal
mechanics of the compiler. So it rises a first, simple question:

What does gnu.expr.SetExp.PREFER_BINDING2 mean?

Judging from the results of a quick grep, it looks like it's related
to Kawa's implementation of separate namespaces for functions and
variables (i.e. Lisp-2). But, it doesn't look like SetExp.PREFER_BINDING2
is ever used (it's set once in setq.java, but nothing ever checks it,
as far as I can tell), unlike ReferenceExp.PREFER_BINDING2, which shows
up in more places. My guess would be that it's either obsolete, with its
intended functionality being implemented in another way, or that it's
just incomplete because it wasn't needed for Scheme and fell to the back
of Per's feature priority queue.

Let's see if Per can remember all the way back to r1720 (twelve years
ago!) when he added that flag to give us more details....

--
Yours respectfully,
Zaostrovnykh Arseniy (aka Necto).

-Jamie