Re: Kawa build.xml patch for Android

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:54:51 +0200, Marius Kjeldahl <marius@kjeldahl.net> wrote:
> First of all; great job on Android support for Kawa.
>
> With the latest Android SDK release, the patch provided for building
> applications does not seem to work. With some minor modifications to the
> targets I managed to get it working. I've attached the updated patch
> below my email.
>
> Secondly, in an email list posting, Peter Feigl mentions being able to
> reduce the Kawa apk payload down to 150KB. In my recent build of Kawa,
> the apk payload is still around 1.2MB.

A few numbers from my current projects:
- OrgCalendar: 494K apk size
- NotmuchMail: 269K apk size
- FlashCards: 2.4M apk size (including 3.9M of ttf fonts in the apk)
- SchemeOGL: 84K apk size (https://github.com/ecraven/SchemeAndroidOGL)

Things work out very well. My code is not good Scheme or idiomatic, but
it does seem much more pleasurable than writing actual Java.

Feel free to use any or all of my "build" files. I've tried (but swiftly
failed) at adapting ant or any other Java build system to work the way I
wanted it to.

I'll gladly share any experiences I've had, find me on freenode
(ecraven) or via e-mail :)

Also, I've removed the following classes from the kawa-1.12.jar. These
cause all manners of problems with proguard, and they should *not* be
included anyway if built without awt/swt support (would it be possible
to fix this in the kawa build system??)

Removed:
- gnu/kawa/slib/gui.class
- gnu/kawa/models/WithTransform.class