Re: Make builds no longer supported?

On 02/23/2014 10:59 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:
On Sat, Feb 22 2014, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:

I recently tried building kawa on two different systems (OSX Mavericks
and Ubuntu 13.10) using make, and they both fail with the error
attached to the end of this email. Are make based builds no longer
supported?

Indeed they are.  However, various class in gnu.mapping (including
CharArrayInPort) were recently moved to gnu.kawa.io.  This might cause
problems with an old check-out.

I had to delete the file patch-source-list.  "make patch-source-list"
seems to rebuild it.

That should fix it.  It might make sense for this file to depend
on (say) Makefile.in (or even Makefile) to force rebuilding.

I also used "make -k" to skip over building the
info docs (texinfo apparently too old on my machine).

I have the same problems on Windows using MinGW/MSYS.
Perhaps a --disable-documentation configure option would be in order.

The JVM in Debian Wheezy

  java version "1.7.0_03"
  OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.1.7) (7u3-2.1.7-1)
  OpenJDK Client VM (build 22.0-b10, mixed mode, sharing)

crashed during the build.

In the past I've had problems with the OpenJDK installed by
Fedora.  Normally I use a fresh download from Oracle.  However,
this may just may be a bug in a too-old version of Java.

Building finished with the one from JDK1.8,
but some tests seem to fail.

The Unicode tests are known to fail because of Unicode
changes. They could be changed to be expected failures.