Re: [linux-ppc] Re: Problem compileing glibc-2.0.94

> cc: Kaoru Fukui <k_fukui@highway.ne.jp>, libc-alpha@cygnus.com,
>         linux-ppc@meetpoint.mcu.motsps.com
> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:56:28 -0400
> From: Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.phys.columbia.edu>

> If you just want to get a working system I'd stick to 2.0.7 for the
> time being.  2.0.9x are alpha test releases, and may not work very
> well.  There had better not be binary RPMs out there -- we don't want
> people thinking they can blindly rpm -Uvh an alpha libc and have it
> work.

2.0.7 does not run on powerpc at all (there is no port).  The only
alternative is to use the 961212 snapshot which has been ported, but
this is not necessarily more reliable than 2.0.94.

Anyone who tries to update to glibc 2.0.94 from 961212 (on any
platform) and expects it to just work will have their expectation
removed.  They are binary incompatible.  Even rpm and sh may fail; you
would need to boot from another partition or from CD to fix the
problem.

--
Geoff Keating <Geoff.Keating@anu.edu.au>