Re: glibc2.1 not binary compatible with 2.0

   Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:13:16 -0700
   From: "Glenn W. Bach" <glenn@dodgson.wonderland.caltech.edu>

   Has there been any progress in figuring out why 2.0 binaries aren't
   compatible with 2.1 libs?

A few bugs have been found.  See the problem database
(http://www-gnats.gnu.org:8080) for more details.

   If there is any way we can help test this, let me know, because we have
   several programs that are affected. At first I thought it might be because
   we were using the old libstdc++, but even compiling with egcs 1.0.3 and
   libstdc++.so.2.8 we get the same problem, ie. a program compiled on RedHat
   5.2 with glibc2.0, egcs 1.0.3, and libstdc++.so.2.8 will not run on RedHat
   beta6 with glibc2.1. It immediately seg-faults.

You cannot really expect binary compatibility for C++ programs.

However, if you have a program built on a glibc2.0 system with egcs
1.0.3 and the libstcd++.so.2.8 that came with egcs 1.0.3, it should
work on a glibc2.1 system where you recompiled the same
libstdc++.so.2.8 (thus again the one that came with egcs 1.0.3,
recompiled on your glibc2.1 system with egcs 1.0.3).  If this is not
the case it may be a bug in glibc2.1.  Try to find where it segfaults
by using gdb and/or provide strace output, and try to create a small
test program that exposes the bug.  Without this information we cannot
really do anything to find a solution.

Mark