Re: [han.holl@pobox.com] libc/1172: rresvport should avoid well known ports

>>>>> Thorsten Kukuk writes:

Thorsten> On Fri, Jun 25, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

>> Check RFC1700, the ports are reserved until 1023 - and there're some
>> well known programs in the range like kerberos,syslog,talk.

Thorsten> Stupid. 512-1023 are used on all Unix for dynamically
Thorsten> assigned privileged ports.  If IANA uses them all for fixed
Thorsten> programs, what should we do with RPC ?  This means, it is
Thorsten> impossible to set up a "secure" NIS server or to make
Thorsten> "secure" queries, means queries from a port less 1023.

I agree.  That's the problem - so what can we do?  I wouldn't call
myself a network expert and therefore count on your opinions.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de