Re: [han.holl@pobox.com] libc/1172: rresvport should avoid well known

Hello,

> Is there anything very wrong with my earlier suggestion to use
> getservbyport() ?

As a quick solution I see nothing wrong.

But in the reality I have seen many systems where
the /etc/services was never edited to reflect new
services, as there is often nothing in the system
demanding these data to be complete.

> A system administrator could decide to edit in/out the ports (s)he
> wants reserved for well known daemons/ free for dynamic assignment.

Actually an opposite approach would be more consistent
with the RFC - a range of ports that can be used for
these dynamic allocations together with a registration
of these numbers at the IANA. I have no idea whether
this is possible and in what time.

Regards
--
				Stano