Re: [artdodge@cs.bu.edu] libc/1220: The code in resolv/res_send.cis not thread-safe

On 25 Jul 1999, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Uli> Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:
> >> The resolver is indeed not thread safe.  This is a known issue, and
> >> not easy to solve.
>
> Uli> I think the existing res_send code can be made thread-safe.
>
> Uli,  thanks for the appended patch.  Could you add it also to glibc
> 2.1.2, please?
>
> Adam, could you check if this patch fixes your problem and tell me the
> result?  I'd like to know whether to close the bug report.

I don't have access to my Redhat 6.0 system today, but I backported the
patch to (redhat-mangled) glibc2.0.7 and have been unable to reproduce the
problem.  I don't LIKE the patch very much, but that's a separate issue
(which I hope to address by trying to integrate BIND8.2... but don't hold
your breath just yet...)

So AFAICT the bug is fixed.  Thanks!

Adam
--
Your lives aren't small, but    \ Adam Davenport Bradley,  Grad Student
you're living them in a small    \ Boston University   Computer Science

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature so I can spread!!