[Michael Deutschmann <michael@talamasca.wkpowerlink.com>] Re: libc/1308: Build fails due to broken ld.so

Hi,

Michael reported a problem with a broken ld.so in glibc 2.1.2.  He
finally nailed this down to LDFLAGS=-s in his environment.  I can
reproduce the problem with binutils 2.9.1.0.25 (he used 2.9.5.0.13).

Is this a binutils bug or is there another reason not to use `-s' for
linking?

Andreas

> Not necessary.  If invalid symbol indeces are signalled your binary is
> wrong and therefore the binutils are at fault.

AJ asked for and recieved a copy, though.

I've just discovered something else.  I tried repeating the last link step
by hand, as librtld.so looked okay.  The manually linked version seemed to
work (reaching it's help text - I haven't actually used it), and was free
of the fishy relocations.

I went back over the "nohup.out" tracking the build to find out what I did
differently, and found it -- In the automatic build "-s" was provided to
the linker (it's in my LDFLAGS -- I don't use debuggers, so why should I
suffer bloated executables? ).

This probably still indicates a bug in ld 2.9.5.0.13, but it seems
-s is needed to trigger it.   Running `strip' on ld.so after linking
does not cause the problem.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael@talamasca.wkpowerlink.com>

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@suse.de	aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de