Re: stropts.h

> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:10:43 -0600
> From: David Grothe <dave@gcom.com>

> Dear glibc maintainers:
>
> I notice that glibc20, which comes with Red Hat 6.0 Linux, has a family
> of header files which implement stropts.h.  As the author of Linux
> STREAMS (LiS) I am familiar with the constructs in this file.

Note that glibc 2.1 comes with later versions of Red Hat, you may
want to look at those.

> One of my LiS users wrote to report that he was experiencing conflicts
> between the stropts.h in glibc and the stropts.h distributed with LiS.
>
> I would like to know if you would be interested in some form of
> coordination between these files.  When one installs LiS on Linux there
> is a library which resolves the symbols "getpmsg" and "putpmsg".  Linus
> assigned system call slots for these two functions for me about a year
> ago.  LiS does not yet implement "fattach" and "fdetach", but will
> probably do so using ioctls rather than a direct system call.

Just out of interest, what are the differences between glibc's
stropts.h and the LiS one?

I'd like it to be possible for people to just add LiS to the kernel
and not have to recompile anything (not glibc, not the applications).
Especially not applications.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>