Character encodings

Hi all.

I've been trying to track down detailed information regarding character
encodings used with glibc and gcc. I've arrived at the glibc source code
and have been looking through it, trying to understand how a particular
encoding is selected.

But I'm stumped. I can see data files, such as for iso-10646, but I can't
figure out how a particular encoding is selected.

If someone can give me some information or point me in a useful direction,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, specifically I'm trying to see whether it is possible to explicitly
force a program to use ISO-10646 (or Unicode) and UTF-8 for wchar_t and
char encodings, respectively. If anyone can share any information
regarding this, I'd also appreciate it very much.

Thanks for any help.