Re: Linux vs. libio

    Ulrich> Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> writes:

    >> Still, neither you nor I can answer my procedural question. :-)
    >> It's a steering committe issue: they (poor things!), not us,
    >> get to decide these questions. :-)

    Ulrich> Not all code in egcs is governed by the steering
    Ulrich> committee.  Just think about texinfo.  Simply because code
    Ulrich> was added to egcs for convenience reasons does not make
    Ulrich> the SC the owner.  It can decide about the future of that
    Ulrich> copy (= branch) but we all certainly want to avoid
    Ulrich> branches.

The FSF is the "owner" of all of this software.  :-)

But, I know what you mean.

It's true that the master version of texinfo is not in GCC.  It's also
true that I would, if for some reason the need arose, feel it was
reasonable for me to modify the version of texinfo in GCC, without
contacting the texinfo maintainers first.  Of course, if the changes
were generally useful, we'd submit them back to the texinfo folks as
well.

My understanding is that the SC *does* get to decide what to do about
stuff in the GCC tree.  That doesn't mean it has anything to say about
the *master* versions of those packages that are officially maintained
elsewhere.