Re: Linux vs. libio

> I think this is rather unwise, and ultimately the wrong approach to solving
> whatever problem you're working on.

It seems there is some confusion about the scope of what Mark attempts
to do.

He is working, in private, on implementing the new C++ ABI. Because he
is lacking an IA64 machine, he uses his private ia32 machine to do so.
To get it working at all, he must change libio, and he wants to avoid
rebuilding his Linux distribution to do so. I cannot find anything
unwise here.

Now he asks libio experts on how he should implement these changes, on
a technical level. All he gets as a response is "no, you don't want to
do that" (except for HJ Lu, who was giving some actual advice).

Please, can we leave the decision what to work on to the individual
developer, and only judge the quality of the work when we see actual
patches?

Having an independent copy of libio is only a stop-gap. We can look
for ways to integrate both copies into a single one later. That may or
may not be feasible. IMHO, changing the class layout is still the
right thing to do, and libio versioning should not stop us.

Regards,
Martin