This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: libresolv/poll() problems
- To: glibc <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: libresolv/poll() problems
- From: John Kennedy <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:30:40 -0800
01/30/99 @ 04:09:39 PM (Saturday)
> 01/30/99 @ 10:43:31 AM (Saturday)
> I just finished trying to figure out what was causing my sendmail
> (with anti-spam) to be totally choking on the GNOME mailing list.
> In trying to look up redhat.com (temporarily down while they're moving,
> I guess), I get hung up in libresolv on a poll(). I can link against
> BIND's resolver and avoid it and I have to chase another DHCPd problem
> before I get back to this, but someone more involved might want to take a
> look at it. As I recall, glibc-2.1.x is trying to change over to using
> poll() wherever it can so that was probably a recent change.
$&$#&$#!! I hate a problem that I can't find a good, clean little
All things being equal, recompiling sendmail with BIND fixed the
problem, but in doing so I exhausted all my DNS-problem-email. I haven't
been able to forge it or reproduce it. ): I'm recompiling glibc-2.0.112
with `-g' and sendmail as well (back to using libresolv), but I haven't
gotten any more lingering daemons.
I grabbed this before I started recompiling everything with `-g',
but it doesn't show the arguments of course:
[gdb sendmail 2569]
GNU gdb 220.127.116.11 with Linux/x86 hardware watchpoint and FPU support
/usr/sbin/2569: No such file or directory.
Attaching to program `/usr/sbin/sendmail', process 2569
Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_compat.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_dns.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_nis.so.2...done.
0x400cdd60 in __poll ()
#0 0x400cdd60 in __poll ()
#1 0x400216a3 in __res_send ()
#2 0x40020730 in res_query ()
#3 0x40020b41 in res_querydomain ()
#4 0x805905e in dns_getcanonname ()
#5 0x8062de3 in getcanonname ()
#6 0x8052a48 in host_map_lookup ()
#7 0x806a52e in map_lookup ()
#8 0x806a080 in rewrite ()
#9 0x806a3a6 in callsubr ()
#10 0x806a1e1 in rewrite ()
#11 0x8068d23 in parseaddr ()
#12 0x805a488 in setsender ()
#13 0x80789ec in smtp ()
#14 0x8060bd7 in main ()
#15 0x4003e8af in __libc_start_main ()
They may not have been perpetually hung. I was getting shotgunned at
the time and didn't have the luxury of keeping the problem around
Sorry I can't be more useful on this one, unless it happens again.