Re: glibc-2.0.111: getpwuid() result depends on nscd presence in nis+ environment

Hello,

sorry for the long delay, had some problems with my spar (Does anybody
know where I could buy a cheap sparc here in germany ? Something like
a IPX or Classic, don't need keyboard or Monitor, vt100 is enough)

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 12:30:59PM +0300, Dmitry O Panov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have noticed that getpwuid() returns "*NP*" in pw_passwd when nscd is
> running and encrypted password when nscd is not running. It is
> critical for some authentication programs (e.g. pam_unix_auth).
>
> sp_pwdp (returned by getspnam()) contains an encrypted password in both
> cases.
>
> Can anyone reproduce this?

No, but I think I know what you have done. nscd asks the NIS+ Server as
root for the entry, getspnam doesn't use nscd and asks the NIS+ Server
as user with the users authentication. I think in your case, you have
changed the permissions of passwd.org_dir and only the authenticated
user is allowed to see the password.
If not, you have forgotten to run keylogin -r or you start nscd before
keyserv is running.

Does niscat passwd.org_dir as root shows you *NP* or the passwords ?

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk      http://home.pages.de/~kukuk/      kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH           Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg