Re: struct stat

Geoff Keating wrote:

> OK.  How about this patch?  The alpha, sparc, and mips, and solaris2
> ports need to follow.
>
> I haven't tested it yet, since it doesn't actually change anything on
> my system (I only have gcc).
>
> Compilers that don't support __extension__ should #define it to empty
> (or, better yet, just ignore it as a token, then they do support it).
> Compilers that don't support 'long long' should #define
> __NO_LONG_LONG.

Hmm...I don't see any __extension__ in my <gnu/types.h>.  When did
this get there?  My feeling on this (and I'm probably in the
minority, again), is that glibc should #define __extension__ as
empty if we're not using __GNUC__.  That, or there should be
a separate clause in which uquad_t is defined without the use
of __extension__.  The whole problem with __GNUC__ is that it
brings in all sorts of non-standard stuff.  I'd like to avoid doing
that when __GNUC__ isn't defined.

> --
> Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>
>
> ===File ~/patches/glibc-48.diff=============================
> 1999-03-16  Geoff Keating  <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>
>
>         * sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bits/types.h: Add a new type,
>         __arith64_t, which is a 64-bit arithmetic type (that is, it's 8
>         bytes long).  Change the guard on 'long long' uses to be
>         !__NO_LONG_LONG rather than __GNUC__.

I think the maintainers would like to keep __GNUC__ as an enabler for
the long long code.

                                          -Dave