Re: 32bit UID support, next patch

Andreas:

Thanks for working on this patch.

> The patches is essentially Chris' patch with __ASSUME_32BITUIDS added
> and a bit of reformating.  Chris, the __ASSUME_32BITUIDS allows to
> configure [1] with e.g. --enable-kernel=2.3.40.  This way all
> compatibility stuff will be removed and only the new syscalls will be
> used.

I'd be careful with this feature-- we don't want people compiling a glibc
that will crash badly on all kernels older than 2.3.40 unless they know
what they are doing. If we are going to have such a feature, we might as
well disable other backwards compatibility while we're at it, like
non-system call getcwd(), etc.

Certainly, there should be strong warnings about using this configure
option in the glibc documentation.

I haven't had an opportunity to try the patch out yet-- hopefully I can do
so in a few days.

Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu