Date: 10 Mar 2000 10:50:01 -0500
From: tb@mit.edu (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
To: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
Subject: Re: [David Madore <madore@quatramaran.ens.fr>] libc/1638: O_NOLINK documented but not implemented

Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:

> Th> I am not allowed to post to libc-hacker, because cygnus.com rejects my
> Th> messages.
> :-(
>
> You can send me your comments and ask me to forward them.  Shall I
> forward your last message?

I find that procedure exceedingly tedious, but I'll do it this once.
Neither the Cygnus postmaster nor Ulrich have responded to my mail on
the subject.

I have sent the following messages:

1:
- ----
O_NOLINK and O_NOFOLLOW are different on the Hurd;
libc/sysdeps/mach/hurd/fcntl.h says:

# define O_NOLINK	0x0040	/* No name mappings on final component.  */
# define O_NOFOLLOW	0x00100000 /* Produce ENOENT if file is a symlink.  */

which are notably different.

The original "bug report" does not sound like an actual confused user,
however, but someone trolling for a political fight.
- ----

2:
- ----
David Madore sez:

> 	The libc info page for `Open-time Flags' mentions O_NOLINK and
> 	other similar flags as `exist[ing] only in the GNU system',
> 	but they are not defined in the header files.  (We are
> 	abundantly told that `Linux' is a kernel of the `GNU' system;
> 	if in fact `Hurd' is meant, the doc should say `GNU/Hurd'
> 	instead.)

We are not abundantly told that.

The SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, et. al., systems are GNU/Linux systems.
They are GNU systems in which one component has been replaced with the
Linux kernel.  Making that replacement means that some of the features
of the GNU system are no longer available.
- ----

End of forwardBHA49L Digest

--
 Andreas Jaeger