Re: resolver with IPv6 transport support

Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

> That said, there may be an argument for *not* adding support for
> nameservers with an IPv6 address to the stub resolver.  You can always
> run a forward only nameserver locally and put 127.0.0.1 as the
> resolver in your /etc/resolv.conf.  In fact, with the advent of
> DNSSEC, it will be almost essential to have a nameserver really close
> by (in the same subnet) since it isn't feasable to implement strong
> cryptography in glibc.

I think there will always be situations where at least locally, behind
a firewall or so, you want to have a server on a different
machine. It's easier to maintain.  Therefore I think IPv6 support
should go in.

The route of using malloc sounds OK.  But we must be aware that
programs peeking and poking in the _res variables and expecting the
nameserver address there will inevitably plan.  I don't care for this
since such programs are broken by design.