Re: Inclusion of Linux headers in current glibc

On 27 Jul 2000, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Checking all the *.d files on i686 shows that only these 25 headers are
> needed for compiling (!) glibc:

[ nice list removed - compare this to the whole kernel header tree, and
  shudder ]

> The question is now what we should do, I don't think I've need to
> rephrase the problems we have with the inclusion of kernel headers
> (even if every release of glibc includes less headers).  I see the
> following suggestions and I might consider doing the work if we come
> (but wouldn't mind if somebody else does it;-) to a consensus:

What I suggested a few times to Uli was to just copy the specific headers
you need to the glibc tree, and then even _edit_ them to possibly remove
unnecessary cruft (stuff inside __KERNEL__ etc - it makes the user land
compile slower for no good reason).

Uli, probably correctly, said that it was a maintenance nightmare, and
that glibc does want to occasionally sync up with the kernel. So
especially the editing seems to be out.

Some kind of automated crawler thing might make the maintenance issue less
pressing. It might even just something as simple as just automating the
pruning of the kernel header tree: if it cuts down the tree from 2632
header files to 25, then at least it's easier to check for changes ;)

One solution might be an automated pass, followed by some final touches by
hand. How often does glibc tend to synchronize to a new kernel? And if it
is often, maybe it wouldn't have to be (ie only do this when a new version
of glibc is cut, or whenever parts of glibc actually _need_ new kernel
interfaces, which is probably fairly seldom except on newly developed
architectures).

I don't know enough about how glibc is developed to really make a good
judgement..

		Linus