Re: glibc 2.1.92 patch for S/390.

>> We would end up with two libcs on the system. A compatibility library
and
>> the new glibc-2.2 just like the libc5/libc6 setup on old Intel systems.
>> Is this really better ?
>
>The old one is going away.  You drop it the next time around.
But only if you recompile every binary. And that's the point where the
trouble
starts. We do not even have all the source code we need to recompile
everything.
Software vendors have already ported theirs products to Linux/390 linked
against
glibc-2.1.3. We would have to tell them to recompile their stuff as soon as
glibc-2.2 is out and send the new version to all of their customers. For
IBMs
own products the situation is not really better. For example DB2 is linked
against 2.1.3 and we would have to recompile it against 2.2 and run the
complete
test cycle again.
I fear that we would end up having two libcs for a very long time.

blue skies,
   Martin

Linux/390 Design & Development, IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Schönaicherstr. 220, D-71032 Böblingen, Telefon: 49 - (0)7031 - 16-2247
E-Mail: schwidefsky@de.ibm.com