Re: bad side-effects of new locale design

Stanislav Meduna <stano@trillian.eunet.sk> writes:

> For example? I do trust you :-) but I'm really curious.

I'm using a UTF-8 xterm and most catalogs are in Latin-1.  I cannot
read anything.  With the new code I get it displayed correctly.

> You are right that the program is broken and glibc is allowed
> to do what it does. Unfortunately, there is a ton of programs
> that don't bother to call setlocale, but the user wants to see
> localized messages at least from the glibc.

Fix them, you have the sources code.  The earlier you start the sooner
programs are fixed.

> If there is any possibility for the old behaviour
> (even as non-default setting or some workaround),
> I would like to see it there.

Set the envvar OUTPUT_CHARSET to whatever you want.

> If you want to be strict conform, maybe it would
> be better to be even more radical - don't allow message
> catalogs in non-ascii charset in an ascii locale.

Why?  This is what transliteration is for.