Re: gcc ignores locale (no UTF-8 source code supported)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> I believe that characters outside the basic character set (i.e. ASCII)
> should not be used in portable software.

In fact that basic source character set is smaller than ASCII; it has only 95
members.  The symbols @ and $ are not in it, and the only control characters
are the horizontal tab, vertical tab and form feed.

(The line termination scheme is threated as a newline, at least in the abstract
semantics, so that effectively adds a 96th character).