Re: use of private area in GBK converter

Bruno Haible <haible@ilog.fr> writes:

> Therefore here is a patch to comment out the private area mappings from
> the GBK converter. Let's add these characters for real when the Unicode
> code points get assigned.

This is something I wanted to clean up for some time.  The way I
prefer is to have a glibc-internal mapping of non-Unicode characters.
For this very high planes in UCS4 should be used.  This has the
advantages that

a) we don't get wrong positives for conversion to Unicode which is a
   problem since there are applications which use this area.  The very
   large values will hopefully not recognized anyway (at least not silently)

b) we still can get round-trip conversion is this is possible.

For this we would need to keep track of the allocation of the high
planes.  In any way the existing private area mapping should go and
commenting it out is fine.