Re: Versioning mess proved!!!

Geoff Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com> writes:

> I don't think it's allowed to "expect" lazy relocation, especially not
> of data references.  ld.so can always decide that it needs to relocate
> something early.

Not on data relocations, of course, but expecting them and PLTs is
perfectly fine.

> As a workaround just to get 2.2 out, this might be OK.  In the long
> term, though, this should be fixed properly as user programs might
> need to do this too.

I've meanwhile discussed this with some others (from Sun) and they
agreed that weak symbols should not be used at all.  I don't think we
should modify anything in there.

> > 	dlsym (RTLD_DEFAULT, "foo")
> [...]
> Won't this just do the same thing as the reloc?  I expect it would
> return the address of the PLT entry if the program has one.

If there is no direct use of `foo' there will be no PLT entry.  This
is the documented way to handle this kind of situation on Solaris.