Re: EUC-JP and the Yen sign

From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2000 11:19:08 -0700
> Paul Eggert <eggert@twinsun.com> writes:
> > What authorities do your sources cite?  The IANA's character
> > assignment table agrees with Bruno Haible: it cites OSF, Unix
> > International, and Unix System Laboratories Pacific all in saying that
> > the name "EUC-JP" refers to an encoding that uses US-ASCII for the
> > first 128 characters.  If you want an encoding that has a Yen sign at
> > 0x5C, you must use a different MIME encoding.
>
> I don't want an encoding which is following some standard, it must
> follow common practice.  In both cases I had it once that the
> backslash was used and sure enough I got complaints that it's not
> correct.  I have not the slightest interest in continuing this game.
> Either a definite answer is found or nothing changes.

I agree that continuing this discussion is no produceable.

Open Group in Japan published advisory documentations:
http://www.opengroup.or.jp/jvc/cde/appendix.html
it also said that 0x5C is yen sign.

See "既存の日本語文字コードと Unicode の間のマッピングルール"
(The mapping rules between the current Japanese codeset and Unicode,
written by Takagi-san who are active in Qt internationalization):
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~hc3j-tkg/unicode/index.html
It's written in Japanese, but graphics are helpful for you to
see what it is.

From: Paul Eggert <eggert@twinsun.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2000 10:59:38 -0700
> It is true that many Japanese systems use the Yen sign for 0x5C, but
> many others use the backslash.  This battle has been going on in Japan
> for many years, dating back to traditional alphanumeric terminals.
> The older JIS standards specify Yen sign, but many people in Japan
> disliked the hassle of being incompatible with ASCII, and used
> backslash anyway; so two camps arose.  There is a similar problem with
> other ASCII characters too -- it's not just backslash.

Yes. These issue, "incompatible with ASCII", have very long history.
And they are not solved in these days.
Someone who know it more preciously, mapping rules in each
implementations/environment (Unix EUC plathome, Windows, Java, ...) are
slightly different. You may think this is foolish, but we Japanese have
to use it, ughe...

Regards,
-- GOTO Masanori