glibc 2.1.96

I've uploaded version 2.1.96 (sixth pre-release of glibc 2.2) to

  ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/glibc/releases

You'll find the files

  glibc-2.1.96.tar.bz2                 (also .gz)
  glibc-2.1.95-2.1.96.diff.bz2         (also .gz)
  glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.96.tar.gz

We are quite close to a final release and this shows in the rather
small patch.  The main changes include beside various small bug fixes

 - ELF ld.so reference counting should work reliably now

 - PPC works just fine now

 - SH code update

The status of the other architecture is (to my knowledge) as follows:

 - x86: no problems

 - m68k: no problems

 - Alpha: some compilers might have problems and you need recent kernels
   (esp on ev6 machines)

 - IA-64: no problems (with appropriate compiler and kernel)

 - S390: no problem (has now thread register support)

 - SPARC32: no problem

 - SPARC64: passes test suite for the first time; only a few unimplemented
   long double math functions left; but this is true even for x86

 - Arm: gcc problems, beside this with a new kernel no problems

 - MIPS: tools and kernel problems

 - HPPA: somewhat working; the code is not in the distribution (yet) since
   the legal documents are not signed

As usual (I must say) the feedback was rare.  We didn't get many bug
reports even with the wide distribution through RH7.  I see this as a
good sign since most of the problems we had to fix were in not so
often used code (or at least the features are not used often).

This might be the last chance to see problems fixed before the final
release.  Use it.  Report problems to libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com.