Re: glibc 2.1.96

Hi folks,

Here is some feedback about glibc 2.1.96.  I tried to test it on two Linux
architectures: i386 and alpha.

First, for i386:  my machine is based on an Asus board, with an Athlon TBird,
running Linux 2.4.0-test10.  I had no problems in compiling glibc using GCC
2.95.1, and saw no errors in make check.

I also attempted to build glibc using the current CVS GCC (2.97), but ran in
many troubles.  AFAICT, this GCC miscompiles the kernel (OOPS in kupdated, and
locks there), glibc (many errors in make check), and XFree86 4.0.1 (weird
errors, where X won't allow to be passed any parameters, and will lock the
machine upon exiting)

I actually installed glibc 2.1.96 (compiled using GCC 2.95.1) as my default C
library on this machine, and have had no problems in two days of use,
mostly compiling stuff and using my ipppd connection.

Now for the alpha...  The machine is a PC164LX. GCC 2.95.x won't compile the
current glibc, IIRC.  And my last attempt using the latest GCC CVS (2.97) of
today was unsuccessful.  It dies while trying to compile iconv_prog.c:
iconv_prog.c: In function `main':
iconv_prog.c:291: Internal error: Illegal instruction.
   Please submit a full bug report.
   See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.

I also had problems getting sysdeps/alpha/ffs.S to compile.  My
assembler
(GNU assembler version 2.10.91 (alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu)
  using BFD version 2.10.0.33)
doesn't like the $ffsl..ng labels.  I deleted the ..ng part, but that seems
strange.  The initfini.c file produces the same problem in internal labels.

In short: i386 = two thumbs up; alpha = no go (and GCC 3.0 ain't there yet...)

					Christian