Re: Default installation of UTF-8 locales

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Ulrich Drepper wrote on 2000-11-08 07:04 UTC:
> > I'm not adding all possible UTF-8 locales.  This is not useful in
> > general.  People can do this themselves when needed.
>
> I do fully understand that UTF-8 locale files consume a bit more disk
> space, but I think it is very important symbolically that at least the
> following ones are installed by default and considered to be officially

I agree with you. However, your list misses one very important (symbolic)
case. It's also important to include ko_KR.utf8, which was the first UTF-8
locale included (other than en_US.utf8) in Solaris 2.6/7 because UTF-8 can
(fully) support Korean Hangul syllables while EUC-KR cannot as it is now.
For this reason, Koreans are very eager to go to UTF-8 as soon as possible
(there are obstacles other than the locale)

Ahah, ko_KR.utf8 is already listed in SUPPORTED.  Thank you Ulrich
for adding it to ko_KR.utf8. Then, my point is sort of mute other than
reminding that Koreans are likely early adoptors of UTF-8.

Jungshik Shin