Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 11:46:17AM -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
> large.  Also, there are issues relating to conflicts (in the EH code)
> between libgcc and glibc.  Unlike the GNAT RTS, very few C programs use
> any code from libgcc, so the advantage of having it shared is much less
> and the potential for problems of conflicts with glibc is the downside.

Conflicts with glibc is not the main problem or not a problem at all.
The problem is it is a very bad idea to link libc.so, which has a
stable, well-defined ABI, with a shared libgcc, which has an unstable
and/or ill-defined ABI. BTW, by "a stable, well-defined ABI" I mean I
can implement a working shared libgcc by just following the ABI, kind
of like libc.so. Also it means a shared libgcc from one gcc release
will work with all gcc releases which support shared libgcc.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)