Re: Problematic linking between glibc and shared libgcc

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:17:54PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> The problem is this installs a half broken GCC.  In particular you the
> can't compile any program with GCC, and have it run before /usr/local
> is mounted.  As a secondary compiler on a unix system from a big
> vendor this is likely sane breakage, but it is still installing a broken gcc.

It's not even broken.  Very few admins need to add new programs to be
run that early in the boot process; those that do are not going to use a
secondary compiler, or if they do they will most likely link it statically.
You shouldn't use that as a scenario to justify dumping things into the
system directories.

I fail to see what's so difficult about using crle(1) or setting LD_RUN_PATH
or LD_LIBRARY_PATH or -R or -rpath or configuring with -static-libgcc or
whatever -- and only needing to do it *once*, heck, do it in the specs file
if you like -- and being done with it.  The LD*PATH variables are *quite*
often going to be required anyway for other programs, in which case this
is all transparent.  Any of these approaches strikes me as being cleaner
than placing third-party libraries into system directories.

Just my two cents.  Feel free to ignore them.

Phil