configure without --prefix problems

I always advise to use --prefix and not use the default which is
--prefix=/usr/local.

/usr/local has the following problems:
  If you have glibc installed in /usr, you now have two glibc on your
  system and GCC searches for include files /usr/local/include and
  then /usr/include.  This breaks e.g. the #include_next in
  include/limits.h.  Another problem is that ld will link against the
  new library but use the old dynamic linker from /lib which also
  leads to major problems since the dynamic linker and libc.so need to
  come from the same version.

Is the above correct?  What's missing from my list?  How should we
continue?  I see the following alternatives: Fixing documentation (FAQ
and INSTALL files) and changing configure (how?).

What do you suggest?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger