Re: using _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 with a non-gcc compiler

Ulrich Drepper writes:
> Some pathetic compilers which cannot get the necessary features done
> to be used as a compiler on a Unix system.

The third proposal I sent would fix the problem, right? Then it means
supporting __REDIRECT is *not* a necessary feature for a compiler.
Because the problem can be solved at libc level.

> This is creating penalties for every single user since the PLT and GOT
> and whatelse is growing.

5 more entries in the libc.so dynamic symbols hash table. Which
already has more than 2000 entries. Can you estimate the penalty?

> And for what?

One such non-gcc compiler produces code which runs significantly
faster. The speedup, published in the German c't magazine, lies
between 5% for some CPU types and 15% for other CPU types. I expect
that some people will want to build their entire distro using this
compiler.  The penalty of 5 more entries in libc.so will be
negligible.

Bruno