Re: Wish for 2002 ...

Kaz Kylheku <kaz@ashi.footprints.net> writes:

> These are questions that any competent development manager at a software
> company might ask you when you come to him or her with dreams about
> gold-plating.  And you'd be immediately assigned to some work, seeing
> that you have lots of time on your hands.

Sure, I'm happy to supply patches to glibc to add the functions.  Is
that all that's necessary here?

Do you think that efficient string functions are unimportant?

I remember when Ulrich spent a lot of effort fixing up all the math
functions, implementing a dizzying array of them.  Most of them are
very, very, rarely used.  But this was very important work (thanks
Ulrich!) and it was the right thing to do.  I guess you think it's a
waste.

Conventional IT managers are generally fools, focusing on short term
benefits and ignoring really important things.  Perhaps this is
reasonable in business, but this is not a business.

Thomas