Re: Locale for Luganda - lug_UG

kizito <anything@kizito.uklinux.net> writes:

> Some time ago I pestered people at this address for assistance with locales.
> I have since created a full locale for the Luganda language, lug_UG.
>
> Could you please tell me where locales are registered or offically
> recognised. For now I am making this one available at
> http://www.kizito.uklinux.net/download, together with a small
> tutorial that collects all that I have learnt during this effort -
> in the hope that it will assist people in a similar position to that
> which I started from.

Dear Kizito,

I recommend to follow two strategies here.

One is to get the locale in the operating system's C libraries. Most
easy is probably to get it into glibc - that way, it will eventually
propagate to all Linux distributions (although this will take
time). I'm copying the glibc mailing list, hoping that somebody could
advise a precise strategy.

If you are eager to get this to users earlier, you could contact
operating system vendors directly. E.g. for Debian, you could submit a
bug report that lug_UG is not supported in the C library - perhaps
they incorporate it even in their current library. The same approach
might work for the various BSDs, and other Linux distributions.

The other strategy is to register this data with the ISO cultural
registry, at http://std.dkuug.dk/cultreg/. I'm copying Keld Simonsen,
perhaps he can give additional advise.

Regards,
Martin