Re: [Dri-devel] OpenGL and the LinuxThreads pthread_descr structure

Ian> On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 03:41:32PM -0700, Gareth Hughes wrote:
Ian> Please forgive my lack of understanding of the relevent issues.  It seems to
Ian> me that this issue (or a closely related issue) has been brought up in the
Ian> past, and was brutally slain by Linus.

He objected against thread-private address mappings, not against other
implementations of thread-private storage. Of course, at first sight,
thread private mappings provide for least overhead in the application,
however on IA32 things a "slightly" different to MIPS and what is good
for MIPS is not necessarily good for IA32 and what is bad for IA32 is
not necessarily bad for MIPS.  And with Linux being mostly IA32 kernel
no surpises here.