Re: [Dri-devel] Re: OpenGL and the LinuxThreads pthread_descr structure

David S. Miller wrote:

> Even if this were not the case, stupid compilation tools are not an
> excuse to put changes into the C library.  That is a fact.

We've been talking about two completely separate issues:

   - Fast thread-local storage for libGL and GL drivers.
   - PIC for libGL and GL drivers.

The only "changes" being talked about relate to the first of these
issues, and have nothing to do with whether libGL is a true shared
library or not.

I'm interested to know if using __thread forces the use of -fPIC,
because my first reading of Ulrich's document seemed to suggest this was
the case.  You say it's irrelevant, but I'd still like to know.  If I am
incorrect, then I have obviously misundersood some aspects of Ulrich's
document and would like some clarification.

-- Gareth