Re: [patch] aio_*() posix compliance

> Thanks for the cleanup.  For a perfect patch a ChangeLog entry is
> missing that explains your changes.  Could you come up with one,
> please?

2002-06-18  Amos Waterland  <apw@us.ibm.com>

	* sysdeps/pthread/aio_cancel.c (aio_cancel): Add check for invalid
	file descriptor.
	* sysdeps/pthread/aio_fsync.c (aio_fsync): Add check for invalid fd;
	add check for fd not open for writing (Tom Gall).
	* sysdeps/pthread/aio_suspend.c (aio_suspend): Add check for
	completed element(s) and do not suspend thread if so.
	* rt/tst-aio7.c: New file.  Regression test for problems which the
	above three changes fix.

> Last time you had a test program for all of these.  I'd like to have
> this program as part of glibc's regression suite.  This means it
> should live in rt as e.g. tst-aio-7.c and should return 0 in case of
> success and 1 in case of an error.  Can you reformat it and change the
> program taking your patches in account and send it?

I have included tst-aio7.c in the below.  Please let me know if there
are any stylistic issues that I need to fix (I used the scoping operator
so each testcase can be compiled as a standalone test case relatively
easily).

Neal Walfield answered the only remaining question I had with
lio_listio().  I think that this wraps up the compliance issues.  Thanks.

Amos W.

---- Begin tst-aio7.c ----

/* Test for AIO POSIX compliance.
   This file is part of the GNU C Library.

   The GNU C Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
   License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
   version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

   The GNU C Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
   Lesser General Public License for more details.

   You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
   License along with the GNU C Library; if not, write to the Free
   Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
   02111-1307 USA.  */

#include <aio.h>
#include <error.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

/* We might wait for 3 seconds, so increase timeout to 10 seconds.  */
#define TIMEOUT 10

#define TEST_FUNCTION do_test ()
static int
do_test (void)
{
  int result = 0;

  /* Test for aio_cancel() detecting invalid file descriptor.  */
  {
    struct aiocb cb;
    int fd = -1;

    cb.aio_fildes = fd;
    cb.aio_offset = 0;
    cb.aio_buf = NULL;
    cb.aio_nbytes = 0;
    cb.aio_reqprio = 0;
    cb.aio_sigevent.sigev_notify = SIGEV_NONE;

    errno = 0;

    /* Case one: invalid fds that match.  */
    if (aio_cancel (fd, &cb) != -1 || errno != EBADF)
      {
	puts ("aio_cancel( -1, {-1..} ) did not return -1 or errno != EBADF");
	result++;
      }

    cb.aio_fildes = -2;
    errno = 0;

    /* Case two: invalid fds that do not match; just print warning.  */
    if (aio_cancel (fd, &cb) != -1 || errno != EBADF)
      {
	puts ("aio_cancel( -1, {-2..} ) did not return -1 or errno != EBADF");
      }
  }

  /* Test for aio_fsync() detecting bad fd, and fd not open for writing.  */
  {
    struct aiocb cb;
    int fd = -1;

    cb.aio_fildes = fd;
    cb.aio_offset = 0;
    cb.aio_buf = NULL;
    cb.aio_nbytes = 0;
    cb.aio_reqprio = 0;
    cb.aio_sigevent.sigev_notify = SIGEV_NONE;

    errno = 0;

    /* Case one: invalid fd.  */
    if (aio_fsync (O_SYNC, &cb) != -1 || errno != EBADF)
      {
	puts ("aio_fsync( op, {-1..} ) did not return -1 or errno != EBADF");
	result++;
      }

    if ((fd = open ("/dev/null", O_RDONLY)) < 0)
      error (1, errno, "opening /dev/null");

    cb.aio_fildes = fd;
    errno = 0;

    /* Case two: valid fd but open for read only.  */
    if (aio_fsync (O_SYNC, &cb) != -1 || errno != EBADF)
      {
	puts ("aio_fsync( op, {RO..} ) did not return -1 or errno != EBADF");
	result++;
      }

    close (fd);
  }

  /* Test for aio_suspend() suspending even if completed elements in list.  */
  {
    const int BYTES = 8, ELEMS = 2;
    int i, r, fd;
    char buff[BYTES];
    struct timespec timeout;
    struct aiocb cb0, cb1;
    struct aiocb *list[ELEMS];

    if ((fd = open ("/etc/resolv.conf", O_RDONLY)) < 0)
      error (1, errno, "opening file");

    cb0.aio_fildes = fd;
    cb0.aio_offset = 0;
    cb0.aio_buf = buff;
    cb0.aio_nbytes = BYTES;
    cb0.aio_reqprio = 0;
    cb0.aio_sigevent.sigev_notify = SIGEV_NONE;

    if ((r = aio_read (&cb0)))
      error (1, errno, "reading from file");

    while (aio_error (&(cb0)) == EINPROGRESS)
      {
	usleep (10);
      }

    for (i = 0; i < BYTES; i++)
      {
	printf ("%c ", buff[i]);
      }
    printf ("\n");

    /* At this point, the first read is completed, so start another one on
     * stdin, which will not complete unless the user inputs something.
     */
    cb1.aio_fildes = 0;
    cb1.aio_offset = 0;
    cb1.aio_buf = buff;
    cb1.aio_nbytes = BYTES;
    cb1.aio_reqprio = 0;
    cb1.aio_sigevent.sigev_notify = SIGEV_NONE;

    if ((r = aio_read (&cb1)))
      error (1, errno, "reading from file");

    /* Now call aio_suspend() with the two reads.  It should return
     * immediately according to the POSIX spec.
     */
    list[0] = &cb0;
    list[1] = &cb1;
    timeout.tv_sec = 3;
    timeout.tv_nsec = 0;
    r = aio_suspend ((const struct aiocb * const *) list, ELEMS, &timeout);

    if (r == -1 || errno == EAGAIN)
      {
	puts ("aio_suspend([done,blocked],2,3) suspended thread");
	result++;
      }
  }

  return result;