Re: DLOPEN and Statically linked executable

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:27:30AM -0500, Steve Munroe wrote:

> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>
> > I think it would be better to figure why they need glibc changes.
> > E.g. the 2M thread stack size argument is very weak, since glibc on
> > sane architectures supports whatever thread stack size mysql wants.
>
> I know that PowerPC (32-bit) currently only support fixed sized (default)
> thread stacks.

Because it lacks a thread pointer register in its ABI. AFAIK Geoff Keating
wants to change this soon. IA-64, Sparc*, S390* etc. have one in their ABIs,
Alpha, IA-32 and X86-64 use magic (be it PAL call on alpha or %gs segment
on the other two).

> And PowerPC64 is following the same route unless I get
> enlightened real soon now ...

It would be good to reserve one from the beginning.
The tp register is not only about ability to pthread_attr_setstacksize, but
also thread local storage implementation depends heavily on it.

	Jakub