Re: DLOPEN and Statically linked executable

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:53:03PM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 10:36:03AM -0500, Steve Munroe wrote:
> >
> > Peter Zaitsev wrote:
> >
> > > At MySQL we use patched version of GLIBC for MySQL binary
> > > distribution and so have to compile it statically.  This patched
> > > version of GLIBC is must to handle high load, it uses smaller thread
> > > stack size instead of default 2M and has  different mutex handling,
> > > so less context switches will happen in case of MySQL and will give
> > > better performance.
> >
> > Have you considered linking shared and using LD_PRELOAD to override
> > any functions that are you would normally get from libc.so?
>
> I think it would be better to figure why they need glibc changes.
> E.g. the 2M thread stack size argument is very weak, since glibc on
> sane architectures supports whatever thread stack size mysql wants.

I'm busy (uh, not really for the last 2 months, but I will start
hacking again within 2 weeks) with a new pthreads implementation for
glibc which can also run on GNU/Hurd. The current code is at
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/pthreads if you are interested. It's
based on code from Mark Kettenis
(ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/kettenis/pthread/).
I still need to merge a lot of things from his newer implementation
which I found after starting to hack on the older implementation. (See
http://soliton.wins.uva.nl/~kettenis/pthread/ for his newer
version). All things which need to be done are documented in the TODO
file.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects