libgcc fix approach

Ulrich,
    Do you have any plans to limit building glibc 2.3 to a specific
version level of the gcc compiler? We could simply restrict builds
of glibc 2.3 to gcc >= 3.1 and leave glibc 2.2.x as is with regard
to the libgcc symbols. That is apply a patch to glibc-2-2-branch
preventing any libgcc-compat code from being built with gcc < 3.1.
Of course these gcc 2.95.4/2.96/3.0.x built glibc-2-2-branch
glibcs would still be exporting the libgcc symbols...but so what...
the breakage would be no different from current the current
glibc 2.2.x release.
    I think restricting glibc 2.3 to gcc > 3.1 would simplify things
in that one would be certain that the new glibc wouldn't be
built by a broken gcc compiler and that the libgcc issue will be
dead at this point. It would also provide a clear point at which
everyone will know this issue has been resolved on all distros.
                              Jack