Re: current glibc vs debian sid

>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <akim@epita.fr> writes:

[...]

 Akim> Some people also said that they want to pretend they
 Akim> cross-compile using their native compiling suite just to
 Akim> be able to exercise their package in cross-compilation.

 Akim> in the end, everything amounts to: we do not want any form of educated
 Akim> guess from configure: with --host it's cross, without, it's not.

Actually I wish this was true, in order to simulate cross
compilation setups in Automake's test suite.

AFAICS ./configure is presently doing what other people in this
thread want it to do: a native build when $host is set to the
building arch.

% ./configure --host=`tools/config.guess`
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
                                          ^^^^

configure didn't found a cross compiler, so it assumes a native
build :(

Is this some sort of backward compatibility heuristic that is
planned for removal?  When?
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz