Re: Possible ld.so modifications

Mike Hearn wrote:

> I thought the whole point of libtool versioning was that it was possible
> to cleanly break binary compatability when necessary without making
> things break though? Surely maintaining backwards compatability between
> major versions goes against that idea? I may be mistaken, this is a new
> area to me.

Who said libtool is good?  In fact, it degenerated over time in one of
the most useless and damaging projects used.  Breaking compatibility
should always be avoided.  Using the libtool hacks is only necessary for
platforms which don't have the ability to handle incompatible changes.
But these systems don't run glibc and therefore no change to the way ELF
is handled is necessary for glibc.

Read the last section of http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf.

--
--------------.                        ,-.            444 Castro Street