memory limits and thread stack sizes

Hi all I have a couple of questions with respect to glibc and the kernel
and the SuSE 7.3, 8.0, and 8.1 and RedHat 8.0 distributions. Hopefully
someone can shed some light into the darkness that I live in at the
moment. Both problem apply to x86 boxes.

Problem 1.)

An executable created by linking Fortran and C++ code seg faults when
linked with -lpthread but works when not linked against the thread
library.

- this occurs when using the -auto flag when compiling the Fortran code,
using the Intel Fortran compiler on SuSE 7.3 (glibc 2.2.4) and SuSE 8.0
(glibc 2.2.5)
- this works using the -auto flag when compiling the Fortran code, using
the Intel Fortran compiler on RedHat 8.0
- this works using the -automatic flag when using g77 for the Fortran
code on all tested distributions (SuSE 7.3, SuSE 8.0, and RedHat 8.0)

According to Intel there is an issue with threads and the thread
stacksize limit. However, setting the stack limit to 4 MB (limit
stacksize 4096) and setting the KMP_STACKSIZE environment variable to 4
MB did not help. The program that is being executed is very short and
has a small stack thus that the 4MB limit should be more than
sufficient.

The question now is does anyone know what the SuSE folks did when
compiling glibc and is there a way for me to work around this problem?
Also does anyone know how SuSE 8.1 behaves with respect to this issue?

Problem 2.)

Allocation of memory past 2GB for 1 process does not appear to work on
SuSE 7.3 (glibc-2.2.4), not yet tested on RedHat 8.0 and SuSE 8.0. We
use malloc for pretty much all memory allocation.

I have tried to find some detailed info on this with respect to
distributions and versions of glibc and the kernel but what I found was
either confusing or very old. Help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
--
Robert Schweikert <Robert dot Schweikert at abaqus dot com>
ABAQUS