Re: RFC: STO_COPY again: Re: Copy relocation and protected symbol don't work together

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:25:02PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:

> Basically, I think that anyone using STV_PROTECTED for mutable data items
> is asking for trouble and can't necessarily get what he intends.  Your
> solution seems workable, but I am not really convinced that it is a mode of
> use that is worth supporting rather than actively discouraging.

I have no strong opinions on that myself. But some people may find it
useful. If you want to actively discourage it, ld.so should do some
checking, instead if silently failing. On the other hand, I'd like to
see it be supported unless the ABI says otherwise.

H.J.