asynchronous I/O with kernel support in Linux 2.5

Hi,

I am trying to use asynchronous I/O in my application.
I used solaris AIO before, but on linxu I wanted to
use the AIO with the kernel's splito AIO support. I
compiled the Linux 2.5.32+ kernel, but It doesnt seems
to implement the aio_read, aio_write calls.

And also I am not able to find the appropriate libc,
which exploits this kernel features. I came across a
implementation on SGI site regd the AIO, but that
seems to be ancient and no development in recent time.

Please advise me which version of Linux Kernel or
patch and libc or patch I sould use to use the best
AIO implementation for Linux Systems.

Any help will be appreciated a lot,

Thanks
Mani

=====
--
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear
 stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."