Re: Why <U0025> instead of % in locales?

[Ulrich Drepper]
> The <U....> notation is used for portability and charset
> independence.  It's used everywhere and that has to remain this way.

Well, it is a fact that it isn't used everywhere.  See for example at
the end of hy_AM, where I find the following lines:

  lang_ab "hy"
  lang_term "hye"
  lang_lib "arm"

It seem to work.  Why can't ASCII characters be used there.  '<U0061>'
is written in ASCII, so the files is already expected to be in ASCII.
Why not accept 'a' as well as '<U0061>'?  What breaks if I use 'a' in
the locale data field?

> You can write text normally and then run a simple shell script to
> convert them to the correct notation.

Is there some script to convert the other way as well, into something
readable?  UTF-8 would be nice.