Re: use CPPFLAGS at configure time

> Yeah, it doesn't *have* to be used for .s files, but it's not like it
> hurts either, especially at configure time.

The makefiles do not use CPPFLAGS when compiling .s files.
What configure does should always match what the build will do.

> Besides, I'm (ab)using CPPFLAGS in the mips64-linux configury to pass
> -mabi= to the compiler, and this affects the code generated by the
> assembler.

You should not do that, it's out of spec.

> If this patch can't go in, I'll have to switch to CFLAGS, duplicating
> autoconf's logic for a default CFLAGS, which I'd rather not do.

What I recommend is setting CC to include all the options essential for
correct target selection.  It is conventional for CFLAGS to specify things
like -g and -O*, which are preferences about what to do rather than
specifications about the spec to which the output will comply.