Re: getpass obsolete?

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:42:04PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Yeah, yeah.  Ignore manual pages, use the info file instead.  Sounds
> like a reflex reaction.  The GNU C library is not developed in a
> vacuume.  What about answering the question asked instead?

Carlo seemed not to know about the info pages, and seemed not to know
that the man pages are coming from a different source than glibc.  It's an
easy mistake to make, and people like Carlos miss out of a very useful
source of information.  I'd never say that the man pages are not a useful
source of information as well, if you want to know how libc4 behaved.

The only question I didn't answer is if getpass is really obsolete.  The
answer clearly depends on who you ask.  As POSIX doesn't include getpass()
anymore, I guess it is safe to say "yes" here.  However, the glibc manual
does not say that it is obsolete, so in the context of glibc, if the
function does what you want it to do, and you don't want your program to be
portable, you can safely use it, and the answer would be "no".
How is that for an answer?

(The question you presumably answer is why it is obsoleted, a question
Carlos didn't ask.  But it is interesting to know anyway, so thanks
for digging out that info).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de