Re: Latest Glibc from CVS has segmentation problems.

    Marcus> So, the natural free software thing to do here would be to
    Marcus> start a web site (not Ulrich, you!) that describes the
    Marcus> glibc development and release process, what to do if you
    Marcus> think you found a bug (and what not to do), how to compile
    Marcus> and build glibc and in general to catch the newbies and
    Marcus> help them.
    >>
    >> That's a great idea.  I also propose a certification process, before
    >> one is allowed to post/read the almighty master's list.  Some kind of
    >> initiation rutual might prove useful too.

    Marcus> You sound frustrated.

  Really ? Well, certainly my intention was to sound ironic, so either
I failed to express myself clearly or you failed to understand.

    Marcus> Frustration usually happens because of unfulfilled
    Marcus> expectations.

  Maybe, I have no idea, my frustration is an assumption/imagination
of yours. In fact, my occasional encounters with glibc and its
maintainers weren't frustrating at all, as evident from the list
archives.

  Also, unfulfilled expectations do not necessarily lead to
frustration.  From your words it looks like you think this relation is
an equivalence.

    Marcus> If you also think that anybody, and in particular glibc
    Marcus> maintainers, have any obligation to pay any attention to
    Marcus> you, then that is an odd idea.

  I do not think this.

  I think this is not an obligation, but a normal professional
conduct.

  What I think is that part of responsibilities of maintainers of
whatever project is to provide a build procedure, including if
necessary FAQs, dependencies, tool version prerequisites, etc.  This
is part of what defines the role "maintainer".

  What I consider a normal conduct is the reaction for questions to
be: a) to answer, b) to not answer or c) to point to a manual or FAQ.

  Unless, of course, I'm mistaken and maintainers' rights do not come
with any responsibilities.

    Marcus> However, there is a steep road towards glibc.

  Who can make it level? So far I think that's its maintainers.

~velco